[GE users] Batch Cueing with SGE - other useful sites?

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Mar 17 15:15:00 GMT 2005

Jim,

> Yesterday I ran into a User-developed page entitled: Batch Cueing with SGE.
> It looked like a good start on a general get started/info page for SGE
> users. Not sure if it was for 5.3 or 6. It mentioned several different types
> of run requirements (hard and soft) that I had not run into before, so it
> may have been 5.3. But still useful to the newbie user. In fact it explained
> several subleties that I had not caught till I read it. Like that the SGE
> options could either be imbedded in the shell file or included at the
> command line after qsub. Nowhere in the documentation I've seen has there
> been such a good explanation of these options and how to use them.
>
> Batch Cueing with SGE (using Internet Wayback Machine since apparently it
> was removed from their site a while ago):
>
> Note: My employer blocked this site, so I had to go home to see it.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20040316015434/http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/service
> s/compute/linux-cluster/codine/

This should be the current version

   http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/compute/linux-cluster/batch/

which reflects SGE 6.0.

> Also we recently here learned of:
> Running Jobs on the Hoffman Cluster using the Sun Grid Engine (SGE)
> http://www.ats.ucla.edu/at/beowulf/running_jobs/
>
> Anyone else know of similar or even better resources on the web (beyond the
> official Sun User's guide, Administrator's guide, Grid engine documentation,
> etc.

Well, personnally I think there's a lot of excellent information in our
HOWTO pages (lots of contributions from our community) and in the mailing
list archives itself. Bioteam (www.bioteam.net) should have information
about Grid Engine on their pages. Rocks clusters can be installed using Grid
Engine as the job scheduler (Beowulf and Oscar clusters as well) - so the
pages and mailing lists of these projects should provide useful information.
Sun is offering training classes for Grid Engine.

Andy