[GE users] Batch Cueing with SGE - other useful sites?

Thu Mar 17 15:53:56 GMT 2005

Since we're all in a sharing mood, I just posted some info to my blog
about qsub & DRMAA command line switch precedence.  This seems to be a
topic of some confusion.

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/templedf/20050317#hierarchy_of_command_line_switches

Just FYI,
Daniel

Andy Schwierskott wrote:

>Jim,
>

>>Yesterday I ran into a User-developed page entitled: Batch Cueing with SGE.
>>It looked like a good start on a general get started/info page for SGE
>>users. Not sure if it was for 5.3 or 6. It mentioned several different types
>>of run requirements (hard and soft) that I had not run into before, so it
>>may have been 5.3. But still useful to the newbie user. In fact it explained
>>several subleties that I had not caught till I read it. Like that the SGE
>>options could either be imbedded in the shell file or included at the
>>command line after qsub. Nowhere in the documentation I've seen has there
>>been such a good explanation of these options and how to use them.
>>
>>Batch Cueing with SGE (using Internet Wayback Machine since apparently it
>>was removed from their site a while ago):
>>
>>Note: My employer blocked this site, so I had to go home to see it.
>>
>>http://web.archive.org/web/20040316015434/http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/service
>>s/compute/linux-cluster/codine/
>>

>This should be the current version
>
>   http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/compute/linux-cluster/batch/
>
>which reflects SGE 6.0.
>

>>Also we recently here learned of:
>>Running Jobs on the Hoffman Cluster using the Sun Grid Engine (SGE)
>>http://www.ats.ucla.edu/at/beowulf/running_jobs/
>>
>>Anyone else know of similar or even better resources on the web (beyond the
>>official Sun User's guide, Administrator's guide, Grid engine documentation,
>>etc.
>>

>Well, personnally I think there's a lot of excellent information in our
>HOWTO pages (lots of contributions from our community) and in the mailing
>list archives itself. Bioteam (www.bioteam.net) should have information
>about Grid Engine on their pages. Rocks clusters can be installed using Grid
>Engine as the job scheduler (Beowulf and Oscar clusters as well) - so the
>pages and mailing lists of these projects should provide useful information.
>Sun is offering training classes for Grid Engine.
>
>Andy

*        Daniel Templeton   ERGB01 x60220         *
*       Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine        *
* "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." *
*                    -Dr. Emmett Brown            *
*                     Back to the Future (1985)   *