[GE users] Grid Engine workshop?

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Thu Mar 17 20:32:52 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 11:55, Rayson Ho wrote:
> BTW, in your presentation, you said you made modifications to SGE, will
> that stuff going to be released??
>
> Rayson

In my presentation, I mentioned that we made a few patches and
scripts for SGE 5.3.  We made a modification to qstat to make
the output more readable for jobs running in parallel environments.
The Grid Engine team revamped the output for 6.0 to be quite
similar, and we don't use the patch any more.

We also wrote a pre-scheduler that modified jobs before they
ran.  It allowed us to provide extra job control that was
not possible through SGE.  Actually, many of the features were
possible, but I didn't understand SGE as well when we did them.

We did add some features to the pre-scheduler that are not
available, which included a form of advanced reservations.
It messed up any scheduling algorithms that weren't FIFO,
but it did the job.

Since upgrading to SGE 6.0, we have stopped using the pre-scheduler.
First, because many of the things we tried to do can be done
directly with consumables and a wrapper script to qsub (controlling
total cpus and total jobs running by user, account, and groups
of accounts).  The pre-scheduler also started putting a significant
load on the system, which was causing SGE 5.3 to fail often
(network comm problems).  Using the qsub wrapper script and
consumables we are able to control jobs as we wish.

The only thing we are missing is advanced reservations.  I
misunderstood how SGE 6.0 supports reservations, it isn't what
we needed.  It is on my list of things to do, but I haven't had
time to work on it.

Craig