[GE users] GE versions (Windows support)

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Mar 18 14:38:30 GMT 2005

Maybe the rumor came from me! Not sure but conversations I've had in the
(long ago) past with various Sun/SGE folks mentioned that "windows
execution host" support was something that (along with N1GE ARCO) would
be a value-add feature that Sun develops internally, adds on top of SGE6
and uses to differentiate their product from the free version. I'm in
favor of this type of development becauase I'd like to see Sun make some
money off a wonderful product. Until N1GE has a pile of layered features
not available in the free version this is kind of an uphill battle for
Sun sales.

So if windows exechost support is not N1GE-only I'm probably one of the
rumor spreaders - apologies for that.

-Chris

Ron Chen wrote:
> We will get WinXP support in SGE 6.0u4 (see Sun's
> product page), and I am 100% sure that it is also
> availible in the opensource version, since I saw the
> code!
>
> BTW, where did you get that rumor from? :)
>
>  -Ron
>

> --- Dan Gruhn <Dan.Gruhn at Group-W-Inc.com> wrote:
>
>>I've heard rumor that Windows XP support will only
>>be in the commercial
>>version.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net