[GE users] File Staging (local) (add: ABAQUS problem)

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Mar 18 17:35:42 GMT 2005

Quoting Vijay Avarachen <vavarachen at gmail.com>:

> I did have prolog/epilog defined, but I didn't think they would make a
> difference if I am not using the functionality.  Anyways I disabled
> it, and tried to run the job again but same problems.  This time

Yes, but if there would be a failure inside, your job would never run. When you
don't need them, any definition is only a possible source of error.

> however I actually got a error output from abaqus saying:
> ABAQUS Error: Unable to create a temporary directory
> "/tmp/115.1.all.q/root_2d-4wave-rigid-dies_19790" to be used for
> scratch files.

Maybe it's more related to ABAQUS than to SGE. As we don't use this software,
maybe someone else like Jeroen can step into this discussion, to help you to
solve the setup of ABAQUS. Only one thing I see:

> Also job.sh.o115 file was created by contains no information.  On the
> compute nodes message file it still says:
> 03/17/2005 09:30:03|execd|node2|E|shepherd of job 109.1 exited with
> exit status = 7
> 03/17/2005 09:30:03|execd|node2|W|reaping job "109" ptf complains: Job
> does not exist
>
> Here is my job script:
> #!/bin/bash
> #Make sure that the .e and .o file arrive in the working dir
> #$ -cwd
> #Mege the standard out and standard error to one file
> #$ -j y
> #
> #$ -S /bin/bash
> #
> cd /working/2d-4wave-rigid-dies
> /usr/bin/abq651 job=2d-4wave-rigid-dies cpus=2

Do you want to execute it in parallel? This is not so easy I already learned,
as ABAQUS is creating the LAM/MPI universe on it's own by using "mpiexec" from
LAM/MPI. Instead you have to write a wrapper to replace it with "mpirun",
adjust the given commands & hostlist, and create the LAM/MPI universe according
to the Howto from the Howto page at sunsource.net.

> I didn't get much time to work on this today (had to deal with a
> lvm/backup issue).

Best Greetings - Reuti