[GE users] Startup times and other issues with 6.0u3

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 01:17:49 GMT 2005

--- Brian R Smith <brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu> wrote:
> You are absolutely the man.  Setting "control
> slaves" to false fixed all of my problems.

No, it is not fixing anything!

"control slaves" means non-tight integration, so you
won't get process control/accounting of the slaves MPI
tasks.

In SGE 6 update 4, the slow start problem was fixed.
But the original problem was that starting a 400-node
parallel job with tight integration takes several tens
seconds or something. But for your case it takes 10
minutes! So there is still something going on with
your configuration.

Did you get the precomplied binaries or compile from
source? Also, are you using the default settings or
you have already played around with the settings a
bit?

Also, logon to the nodes and see what processes are
running when a parallel job starts.

 -Ron