[GE users] Altix Linux 64 ia64 cpus

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 15:23:04 GMT 2005

--- Wal <walid.shaari at gmail.com> wrote:
> is it worth it to take the web
> training provided by SUN?

Have you read the user guide and admin guide? I went
to the web training many years ago... when it was
free. The content was OK, but I think now it is for
SGE 6.0.

> and is it worth it to go to SGE 6, and which update
> is the stable update, i am already worried of
> using sleepycat, and would rather make
> things simple

SGE 6.0 has several new features, mainly cluster wide
queues and scalability enchancements (threaded
qmaster).

You don't need to use Berkeley DB (sleepycat)
spooling, just compile with -spool-classic, and you
will get the text spooling.

But if you run several million jobs per month (some
users on this list are doing that), then DBD spooling
will allow you to scale to that level.

> as we are an openpbs shop, and
> already my team lead,
> and several admins have thier concerns against SGE ,
> and advising me to go to pbs pro instead. sorry for
> the digress back to the subject

OpenPBS has no failover, and PBSPro has 1 level of
failover. In SGE, you can have many shadow masters
running. BTW, what features are you looking for? And
what kind of jobs are you planning to run on the
cluster?

Also, anything specific they don't like about SGE? Or
if anything you think PBS is better, send to this list
and someone will help you :)

> 3- qmon segfaults in sge5.3, does any one know the
> fix?

What motif version do you have?

> 4- how do i find out the stats of how many cpus, and
> memory were used,
> elapsed time from something like qstat/qmon?

To find accounting of jobs, use qacct -j <job id>

 -Ron

> TIA
>
> Wal.

> For additional commands, e-mail: