[GE users] Myrinet setup (was: RE: [Beowulf])

Rayson Ho raysonho at eseenet.com
Sun Mar 27 18:50:48 BST 2005

>> I have but I do not see my name yet? How long is the verification
>> process?
> did you register as an observer - AFAIK you can post to the
> SGE list without being registered.

The list subscription is different than the "role" of the SGE project. You
don't need to be an observer, but you do need to subscribe to the list in
order to post to the list.

> Also the supplied sge_mpirun will not use any Myrinet version on
> it's own - it's just a wrapper to the mpirun you set in the PE,
> so that you don't have to specify the usual options 'mpirun -
> machinefile $TMPDIR/machines -np $NSLOTS mypgm'.

BTW, read README in mpi/myrinet, it says that you can call mpirun.ch_gm
directly with some additional arguments.

Actually, depending on the cluster setup, you may or may not want to use
the integration package in mpi/myrinet.

The main difference with myrinet is that Myrinet/GM has a limited number of
"ports" on each card. You want to allocate free ports to your job on each
host, not the used ones.

With some minor changes to pick the free ports, the normal MPICH
tight-integration would work with myrinet.

(The program you need to use is gm_board_info, which will tell you which
ones are free. But, if you don't have interactive users, you don't really
care about ports get allocated outside of SGE, and can use a hardcoded
value.)

Lastly, it would be nice if Myricom can do the integration themselves, or
at least supply the batch system developers with hardware. (I requested
this many years ago!!!)

Rayson