[GE users] Interest of cells and sge logins

Rayson Ho raysonho at eseenet.com
Tue Mar 29 17:10:31 BST 2005

>Furthemore, I have seen the SGE login/user is linked to the Unix user
(I've
>seen qsub makes some "getuid()" to find the owner of the job). Can I test
>managing policies without several unix logins ?

Simple answer: no.

However, many operating systems allow users to override functions in
libc/system calls, so if you know what you are doing, then you can get
around many things - including returning a random value for getuid(2).

If you don't trust your users, there is a mode in SGE to only allow qsub
and other clients commands to communicate with qmaster via reserved ports.
Thus users can't submit their jobs with their own qsub, and cannot override
functions in libc/system calls.

Rayson