[GE users] $JOB_ID in joined output stream

Desany, Brian bdesany at 454.com
Tue Mar 29 22:25:54 BST 2005

I forgot to mention I'm running 5.3

-----Original Message-----
From: Desany, Brian [mailto:bdesany at 454.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:24 PM
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Subject: [GE users] $JOB_ID in joined output stream

Hi,

I'm having a problem with getting the output file name to match what I'm
telling it.

The parts of qsub that seem to matter are:

qsub -pe my_pe 2 -j y -o log.$JOB_ID  ...

When I join stdout and stderr for the job and specify the
pseudo-environment variable $JOB_ID, the -o option does not insert the
$JOB_ID.

Since I'm joining stderr and stdout, I tried using -e but that creates 2
files (presumably 1 for each -pe slot I'm using), both of which have
filenames that do include the $JOB_ID but which start with $JOB_NAME and
not "log" as I specified.

Is there a way to accomplish what I want, which is a single output file
(merged stderr and stdout) with the name that I specify, including the
$JOB_ID?

Thanks,
-Brian.

Brian Desany, Ph.D.