[GE users] Interest of cells and sge logins

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Mar 30 15:45:43 BST 2005

Guillaume,

no, I think you got me wrong.

The execd is running as root (ruid), and spawns a shepherd for the job
(still as root). The shepherd in turn will create the job to be run with
the id of the user.

So, due to different admins you may have the account "john" on some
machines, but on other machines it's "johnd" or "doejohn".

So, as only the admin may create this mapping, it's not the user who can
give him-/herself more rights.

But this way, you can login to a submit host where you are "john", and
the submitted job will run on another machine under the account
"doejohn" and on another under "johnd". But all the accounting inside
SGE will go back to the (cluster) user "john".

This way I understand "man usermapping". - Reuti