[GE users] contemporary of -l slots=#

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Mar 30 20:53:37 BST 2005

Hi Raphael,

it's personal taste, but I wouldn't use any of the two options you offered -
both are not refelecting the logic behind. Although: what I suggest is similar
to the second:

- make the complex "virtual_free" consumable and requestable - default 1GB
                                                       (or what you like)

- attach this to each node with a value of the built in memory
                                    (complex_values   virtual_free=3.5GB)

- request 3.5GB in your qsub command -> single job on the node

With 4GB built in only 3.5GB are usable I think. Yes, it's nearly the same as
your vslots, but this can also be used for a real request of just 2GB for
larger jobs.

Cheers - Reuti

PS: IMO it's good to disallow the request for slots, to remind users to request
a PE - maybe they forgot it by accident.

Quoting "Raphael Y. Rubin" <rafi at cs.caltech.edu>:

> I would like to configure my grid so that mortal users can grab exclusive
> access to a machine, using the normal submittion commands with little extra
> work.
>
> Occassionally, a user wants to run a job exclusively for benchmarking,
> whether that's to test a class of machine or a specific job.
>
> Also some jobs we know will be resource hogs, and we'd like to annotate them
> to indicate they are the equivalent of two or more normal jobs.
>
> And of course there are various other nees that arrise, but the above two are
> the most common and important.  In the past we just use to specify "-l
> slots=n".  But as of sge5.3 that was discouraged.
>
> 	error: denied: use parallel environments instead of requesting slots
> explicitly
>
> 		- from sge6
>
> In sge 5.3, I had created a slots pe, after we first noticed the messages
> about -l slots.  Here is an updated version of that pe (in a form for sge
> 6).
>
> pe_name           slots
> slots             999
> user_lists        NONE
> xuser_lists       NONE
> start_proc_args   /bin/true
> stop_proc_args    /bin/true
> allocation_rule   $pe_slots
> control_slaves    FALSE
> job_is_first_task TRUE
> urgency_slots     min
>
> Alternatively, one can use a consumable complex, as described  in:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/BrowseList?list=users&by=thread&from=2
530