[GE users] Queues are in error state

Mark Ellerby issmde at leeds.ac.uk
Tue May 3 10:35:31 BST 2005

Hi,

We have had SGE 6.0 installed on our Linux beowulf cluster for a couple
of weeks and it has been working OK. However when I came back to work
following the long weekend I found most queues to be in error state.
Having looked through the qmaster/messages file the problem seemed to
start when job 982 failed. The error message is as follows:

04/30/2005 21:44:28|qmaster|snowdon|W|job 982.1 failed on host
snowdon.leeds.ac.uk general assumedly before j
ob because: can't write script file "job_scripts/982" wrote only -1 of
4451552 bytes: Bad address

I can't find any record of that job unfortunately, so I can't see what
it was trying to run.

The strangest thing is, it seems that SGE tried to then run that job on
pretty much all the queues in the system, putting most of our compute
nodes out of action (in error state). I can't understand why the
queueing system would do this, because it doesn't normally do that when
a job fails.

Could this be a bug on SGE6.0, or could it be that I've not set up the
queueing system correctly?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Mark

Mark Ellerby                         email: m.d.ellerby at leeds.ac.uk
Information Systems Services         phone: +44 (0)113 3435429
University of Leeds