[GE users] high CPU load for sge_qmaster

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Tue May 3 17:20:53 BST 2005

christian reissmann wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> it might be possible that one or more execd overwrite the default
> load_report_time. You can check this with qconf:
>
> qconf -sconf EXECD_HOSTNAME | grep load_report_time
>
> in combination with qping -dump you can try to isolate hosts which
> very often send message to qmaster.

I have no local configurations.

[sean at head4 sean]$ ls -l $SGE_ROOT/default/common/local_conf
total 0
[sean at head4 sean]$

I ended up restarting my sge_qmaster.  It hasn't started using the high
CPU load yet (although I expect it will within the next 24 hours).  I
went ahead and ran the -dump for a minute while it wasn't using much CPU
time.  There were 644 messages in that minute.  When qmaster was at full
load, I got 3016 messages in 5 minutes, which comes out to 603 messages
per minute.

So, after restarting, I'm getting just as many messages, and averaging
less than 1% cpu usage. (as opposed to being constantly at 100% cpu usage).