[GE users] "Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell..."

Tim Harsch harsch1 at llnl.gov
Wed May 4 00:43:02 BST 2005

All,
I was looking at the common problems page at:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/commonproblems.html
to investigate why I get that message when I run jobs on a grid.  I'm a
little baffled though as I know of no stty commands buried in my logins.
I'm using RHEL4 and I don't know if the standard logins might have it, but
my .cshrc sets some environment vars and some shell variables and that's it.
I don't know where any stty calls would come from.

Also, I did the stty -g trick around my shell variables (just to test) and
it caused normal xterms to print the gobbledy-gook that stty -g does ( I
suppose I need to redirect to /dev/null ) and I started getting these in
STDIN.e* files:
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Tim Harsch