[GE users] question about scripts with X display

Chris Duke chris.duke at novas.com
Wed May 4 05:27:51 BST 2005

Hi all. I am running some scripts that require a graphical user
interface. This is not an interactive application...the application
essentially "plays" a command file and then closes.

In our calling script (submitted using qsub), I set the DISPLAY
environment variable, and the script runs fine.

I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a way to test if the X server is available? Using qsub, we
throw so many windows up on the designated X server, that it
occasionally crashes. When the X server crashes, or the X server is
otherwise unavailable, the rest of the jobs basically fail (rather
ungracefully).
2. I'm wondering if anybody else is doing this, and if so are there any
suggestions you can offer?

Thanks in advance for the help!

--chris