[GE users] Default queue state for rebooted machines?

Fred L Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Wed May 4 11:10:59 BST 2005

Hi Rob,

> Thanks for those suggestions. I rather like the 'qmod -d' solution in the
> startup - that means I can farm out the job to someone else ;-)

I understand ;-)

> The idea about waiting for a flag file could be a winner as well, except
> that the shared memory data is usually populated by a human-operated shell
> script and we'd rather be short of a machine rather than suffer potentially
> corrupt (old) data, so I don't think that's a "go-er". Shame.

Without attempting to trivialize your application, going for this
solution would be a matter of putting 'touch /tmp/shared-data-ready' at
the end of the shell script - assuming that the shared data is ready at
the end of the script.

> As for loadsensors, erm... That's not something I'm familiar with at all,
> so, unless it's ludicrously easy, I'm opting for leaving that one alone.

One of the harder parts is reading the manual and
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/loadsensor.html!!

It does involve finding a way of determining if the shared memory is
ready/valid or not, but it does have the advantage of letting jobs that
do not require the shared data to be run.

Cheers
f.