[GE users] Default queue state for rebooted machines?

Robert Griffiths Robert.Griffiths at mitsubishi-sec-intl.com
Wed May 4 11:26:39 BST 2005

Hi Fred,

> > The idea about waiting for a flag file could be a winner as well, except
> > that the shared memory data is usually populated by a human-operated
shell
> > script and we'd rather be short of a machine rather than suffer
potentially
> > corrupt (old) data, so I don't think that's a "go-er". Shame.
>
> Without attempting to trivialize your application, going for this
> solution would be a matter of putting 'touch /tmp/shared-data-ready' at
> the end of the shell script - assuming that the shared data is ready at
> the end of the script.

I can see how this would work, given that /tmp is local to each machine, but
this presumes that /tmp is cleaned out during a shutdown/reboot procedure.
Is this the case? Even in "spontaneous" reboots without apparent cause?
However, this method of checking for the existence of this file would still
allow jobs to be scheduled to this machine and we'd still have the
"black-hole" problem that Magnus mentioned!

> As for loadsensors, erm... That's not something I'm familiar with at all,
> so, unless it's ludicrously easy, I'm opting for leaving that one alone.
>
> One of the harder parts is reading the manual and
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/loadsensor.html!!
>
> It does involve finding a way of determining if the shared memory is
> ready/valid or not, but it does have the advantage of letting jobs that
> do not require the shared data to be run.
>

> Cheers
> f.

I've had a glance at the page... And it's as clear as I remembered it... but
we do not run any jobs which do not require the shared memory segments, so
this is probably not the route for us.

Cheers,

Rob

Mitsubishi Securities International plc ('MSI') is
registered in England, company number 1698498 and
registered office at 6 Broadgate, London EC2M 2AA.
MSI is part of the Mitsubishi Tokyo Financial Group
and is authorised and regulated by The Financial
Services Authority. This message is intended solely
for the individual addressee named above. The
information contained in this e-mail is confidential
and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete in its entirety.
Messages sent via this medium may be subject to
delays, non-delivery and unauthorised alteration.
The information contained herein or attached hereto
has been obtained from sources we believe to be
reliable but we do not represent that it is accurate
or complete. Any reference to past performance should
not be taken as an indication of future performance.
The information contained herein or attached hereto
is not to be construed as an offer or solicitation to
buy or sell any security, instrument or investment.
MSI or any affiliated company, may have an interest,
position, or effect transactions, in any investment
mentioned herein. Any opinions or recommendations
expressed herein are solely those of the author or
analyst and are subject to change without notice.