[GE users] controlling openmp jobs

shing at cz3.nus.edu.sg shing at cz3.nus.edu.sg
Thu May 5 04:55:25 BST 2005

hi,

I wondering how other people are controlling their openmp jobs. Ideally of
course, openmp jobs should be submitted in a PE. However there's nothing
to stop openmp jobs from being submitted to a serial queue since SGE won't
be able to tell that it is an openmp job, and if the job gets scheduled on
a 2-cpu machine with 2 slots, it will use both cpus, effectively using up
2 slots but SGE only records it as 1 slot. How can we get SGE to force
openmp jobs to use an appropriate PE? Perhaps the OMP_NUM_THREADS env var
can be set during submission? ie. if submitted to a serial queue,
OMP_NUM_THREADS gets set to 1 (without the user being able to override)
and the job uses 1 slot. Could that be done?  If so, how?

thanks,
--shing