[GE users] Preemption vs dedicating nodes by group?

Justus Loerke loerke at molgen.mpg.de
Fri May 6 12:12:36 BST 2005

Hi Jim,

the suspension of the subordinated queue is triggered by the
subordination mechanism itself, I believe. It's a property of
subordinated queues that jobs will run on them only if the "top" queue
(i.e. the queue they are subordinated to) is idle and jobs running on
them will be suspended once a jobs starts on the primary queue. I did no
other configuration than setting up secondary queues as subordinated
queues, all suspension/migration is handled by the GE itself. As to how
the GE handles this, I can't really say anything. My guess would be just
simple checking whether the prim. queue is empty and sending a
suspension to the subordinated sec. queue once a jobs is scheduled to
the prim. one; I tried doing this manually with a script myself, but it
turned out to be work already done by someone else :)

I did look at load sensors first (exactly the one you mentioned, since
using idle workstations is my next project, once I've got some
checkpointing mechanism running, plus another one written by myself that
monitor the jobs submitted to the 2 main groups of queues and checks for
empty queues) but found that the subordination method works without a
sensor, so there's no real need for any; as I said, the
suspension/migration is triggered by the GE once the primary queue is
not idle anymore, so that's a lot better than having to do all this
manually or with some script.

Right now my users are educated in personal talks, since I only have a
handful of them and it isn't really that much work. This also gives me
the opportunity to work out existing problems with potential file
corruption, etc; most of them are very helpful and also very interested
in some checkpointing and migration schemes (especially if this can be
used to include workstations in the grid), since we've had frequent
problems with dying jobs. I'm in the happy position that I don't have to
keep a watchful eye on my users; most of them understand quite easily
that it's better to migrate their jobs automatically than to have the
jobs that are running on secondary queues suspended (potentially)
forever because they conveniently "forgot " the checkpointing flag. They
may be immune from the kill/restart, but once the primary queue fills
up, they will find their jobs suspended for a long time, if they are
unlucky.... But you are right, having jobs killed and restarted from the
beginning is no option and hard to communicate to their owners; since I
have no (real) checkpointing system running at this time (still trying
to recompile with the Condor libs), the secondary (i.e. subordinated)
queues are all disabled, to avoid data corruption and user irritation.
But at least in this respect I expect very little problems once
checkpointing works.

Hope that helps :)

Justus

Dipl. Phys. Justus Loerke
- UltraStrukturNetzwerk -
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics
Ihnestr. 63-73
D-14195 Berlin

Tel.:   +49-30-8413-1644
Fax:    +49-30-8413-1385