[GE users] Questions

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri May 6 15:37:35 BST 2005

Schmitz Dale M Contr 20 IS/INPG wrote:
> I?ve been trying to decipher the meaning of some basic information
> attached to the queues on my grid engine.  I?m still dealing with the
> basics, so this question is along those lines.
>

> Load_threshold: All my queues have a default load_threshold of 1.75.  As
> I understand it, if the engine sees more than 1.75 jobs assigned to that
> queue, it won?t assign any more.  If I have that correct, no more than 1
> job will be assigned to that queue, regardless of the fact that I have
> two slots for that queue.
>

> Am I interpreting this correct?

Partially.  When the load_threshold is crossed, it stops assigning jobs
to the queue.

However, IIRC the default load_threshold is 'np_load_avg=1.75'.  The
important part you left out is the 'np_load_avg'.   np_load_avg is the 5
minute load average of the machine divided by the number of CPUs on the
machine.  So, on a 2-cpu box, the threshold wouldn't be tripped until
the 5 minute load average got up to 3.5