[GE users] Questions

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri May 6 16:22:31 BST 2005

Hi Dale,

the np_load_avg is not the number of slots used on a machine (neither by
queue, nor in total), but the number of processes eligle for execution
by the CPU. This is not bound to a queue, but the np_load_avg is the 5
minutes average of the system load, which you will also see at the
second load entry in "uptime". In addition, np_load_avg is the load_avg
devided by the number of CPUs in the machine.

So your setup should accept unlimited jobs, until the value is above
1.75 - then the queue is send to alarm state and won't accept any
further jobs.

To avoid having too many jobs on a machine when they just started (until
the load_avg reflects the activity of the just queued jobs), the
scheduler knows a "job_load_adjustments", which will put some artificial
load in the specified entries, to avoid this to happen (see "man
sched_conf" for more).

Cheers - Reuti