[GE users] controlling openmp jobs

Fred L Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Sat May 7 13:47:56 BST 2005

Hi Shing,

The problem you are describing is not just limited to openmp programs, a
user can easily, kick off multiple concurrent processes from shell by
running them in the background.

A solution that we adopted a few years ago, which I believe is common at
other sites, is to educate the users and create an acceptable use
policy. A good way of policing this is to look at the accounting records
for the various jobs and verifying that (wallclock*slots >= total cpu),
and then warn/punish the users!

Of course, if you have enabled sharetree policy, then the users'
over-utilization will be accounted for, they can't cheat that part :)

Cheers
f.