[GE users] high CPU load for sge_qmaster

Tue May 10 13:45:52 BST 2005

Sean Dilda wrote:

> Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG - Software Engineer wrote:
>
>> Sean Dilda wrote:

>>> I plan on switching to 6.0u4 at some point.  However, even if 6.0u4
>>> was final today, I wouldn't be able to do the cluster-wide outage to
>>> upgrade until at least mid-June.
>>

>> The upgrade should be painless. Please have a look at the release
>> notes when u4 is available. It isjust an exchange of the binaries.
>

> Do u3 execd's work with a u4 qmaster?  Given past experience and the
> statements about all the changes in the commlib, I would assume not.
> As such, I have to do a scheduled outage of the cluster to upgrade.
> Since this is a production cluster that's experiencing the problems, I
> also need to test it out with the features we use just in just in
> case. Sometimes there are regressions in newer versions and I'd rather
> catch them before I put the code on my production machine.
>
> What's the current plan for when the 6.0u4 code will be finalized?

It already is. However, we were able to reproduce the problem and it is
also part of u4. It might not be so much of an issue with u4, however it
is in there.

I do not know, what to recommend. If you have coding experiences, you
could integrate the fix into the u3 source code and build a qmaster for
yourself...
or wait till we have a fixed binary available, which will be based on
the u4 code. For using the u4 code, you will have to shutdown all
daemons, exchange
the bins and restart everything.

Stephan