[GE users] SGE resources and job queues.

Jon Savian worknit at gmail.com
Wed May 11 21:57:18 BST 2005

Hi Reuti,

Thanks for your prompt response.  Users usually run scientific
programs and request whatever resources they need for the job.  So
yes, they specify runtime, memory, and number of slots needed.

Users have expressed interest in running larger jobs that require 32
nodes, containing 2 slots, and 2GB of memroy each.  However they would
like jobs to be run on nodes contained in the same rack, instead of
using nodes accross multiple racks.  We have multiple racks of 32
nodes.  Hard requests will be needed i belive.

So the first step i took was to specify a resource for one of the 32
node racks.  So when a user does a "qsub -l resource_name....." It
will run under the 32 nodes specified by it.  However other users
might have already submitted jobs that are queued to run on some of
the nodes we will need for our larger 32 node single rack job.  So
ideally, i think we would want to find a way to make the the the
single rack available so that the larger 32 node single rack job can
run ASAP, which means moving the other jobs that users submitted to
other nodes.  This may happen on a usual basis, so any kind of
permanent setting for this would be great.

I should also mention that I am making all modifications via qmon.

Thanks.

Jon

They will be running a job on 32 nodes, each having 2GB memory, 2 slots/node.