[GE users] N1GE 6.0 qsub and terminal display question

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu May 12 19:56:02 BST 2005

Doug,

the problem I see with the -o redirection is the location of the job, I mean:
the user is sitting at one terminal connected to the login node, where the
pts/0(1,2,...) is allocated, but the job is running on an exec node inside the
cluster. The output "-o /dev/pts/0" would have to be captured by SGE,
transferred using an internal protocol... and so on. If the submit machine is
the same as the exec machine, then /dev/pts/0 seems working - although it's
appearing just in your terminal session.

But your idea seems also to be okay. If you are issuing the xterm in a job
script, you could also just put it in the background (the violation of the SGE
job allocation is okay in this case IMO - just be sure that the task gets the
same process group in case you need a qdel). Then the exec node don't need to
be a submit host, and you are not wasting a slot. But using this you might need
xhost +<clusternodes>. With newer Linux releases the xhost is no longer honored
I found.

Cheers - Reuti