[GE users] xhost+ on newer linux, was N1GE 6.0 qsub and terminal display question

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri May 13 10:50:51 BST 2005

Hi Magnus,

thanks for the hint, but on my SUSE there is no gdm subdirectory and
also a grep resolves none such entries in any other subdirecories. I
needed this one time to install something, and my workaround was to
allow root ssh, used a "ssh -X root at ..." and disable it again
afterwards. But if anyone has a clue, it would be helpful for future
activities. Maybe it's possible to compile X11 with completely ignoring
the xhost and they did so?

Sometimes I need this in addition to restore something from a tape
backup under the ITSM (IBM Tivoli Storage Manager) as root user, and the
graphical interface of ITSM has some display options, which I can't find
in the command line version (display a tree of the backuped files).

Cheers - Reuti