[GE users] Keyboard / Mouse idle time in Linux

Andy Moran andy at wildbrain.com
Fri May 13 17:35:13 BST 2005

This is the same boat we are in -- the keyboards and mice are a mixture
of USB and PS/2s across all systems, and many share interrupts.
/proc/interrupts is basically useless to us. :-(

It's very frustrating because the only way we can find on Linux to
monitor keyboard and idle time is to poll the X server, and to do that
we have to have xhost open because with 'xhost -', even root processes
can't connect to the X server of someone else's logged in.  Occording to
xhost's manpage, I should be able to do "xhost +root" as the name is
supposedly either a hostname or a username, but when I do, I get "bad
hostname 'root'" so obviously either I'm doing something wrong or xhost
manpage is wrong.

We'd love to have something in the /proc file system that either
monitors idle times of human input devices (like that is available to OS
X via ioreg) or have a way for root processes to poll the X server for
the XScreenSaver structure without requiring opening up connections from
other users.

--Andy