[GE users] Queuing policy

Dan Gruhn Dan.Gruhn at Group-W-Inc.com
Mon May 16 02:07:33 BST 2005

Anand,

Another way you could do this is to schedule by load and put in a load
adjustment with a high value and a fairly short decay time.  This would
cause a node to look like it has a high load immediately after a job is
scheduled there causing the scheduler to look for a less busy node.
However, with the short short decay time (a 1/2 life actually), the
pseudo load would drop off quickly and the node would look more
attractive to the scheduler.

I have used this approach with very satisfactory results.  My Load
Formula is np_load_short and my Load Adjustment is np_load_short with a
value of 4 and a Decay Time of 10 seconds.  This means that when a job
is scheduled on one of my nodes, it immediately looks like there are 4
extra jobs running but by 10 seconds that drops to 2 extra jobs and 1
extra job by 20 seconds.  Since all of my nodes do this, the net effect
is to cause a load based round robin where the node with the longest
time since last job start has the lowest pseudo load.

Dan