[GE users] slot confusion?

Beth Meyer beth at wildbrain.com
Tue May 17 20:08:38 BST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a cluster queue that can only run 7 jobs at a time.
I'm using 6.0u3; and I have 25 machines on my renderfarm - each with one
slot.  I don't care which 7 of the 25 machines run the jobs, and I don't
care how many of those 7 jobs are owned by any one user. I already have
one cluster queue, called "normal" that has no job limitations.  I want
jobs sent to the new queue, let's call it "high.q", to get dispatched
first; but only 7 jobs at a time. All other open slots can then be used
by jobs in the normal cluster queue.

If I set the slots in the cluster queue definition to 7, I end up with 7
slots on each host in the high.q and 1 slot in the normal.q on each
machine.  What I want is one active slot total, per machine.  It seems
like I could use subordinate queues for this; set the number of slots to
1 in both cluster queue definitions, have the normal queue subordinate
to the high queue and set the max slots to 1.  So far so good.

What I can't seem to find is a way to say that the high cluster queue
can only use 7 slots at any one time out of the 25 slots it knows about.
Is there such a setting?  Or is this best handled with a complex?

Thanks,
Beth