[GE users] Adding exec hosts to SGE via qconf

Charu Chaubal Charu.Chaubal at Sun.COM
Tue May 17 21:05:48 BST 2005

Hi Andy,

I would recommend looking at the inst_sge script to see exactly all the
steps that are taken when installing an exec host.  Most of them are
probably 'qconf' commands which can be issued from any admin host on
the grid.  I don't think there's anything which needs to be run locally
on the exec host other than the init script, but I'm not 100% sure.

Regards,
	Charu

On May 17, 2005, at 12:46 PM, Andy Moran wrote:

> Thanks guys.  This is the information I need to avoid running the
> installer script on the executation hosts.  From this, it seems we can
> do everything via 'qconf' from another machine as long as the exec init
> script starts up on the client machine.
>
> Yay.
>

> Cheers!
> --Andy
>
> Andy Schwierskott wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> adding a host to a cluster queue implicitely adds the host as an
>> execution
>> host which is done by the "qconf -ae" option otherwise.
>>
>> An execution host does not disappear automatically when the last queue
>> instance for that host is removed. Otherwise qmaster would deny load
>> reports
>> from that host and log an error about load reports from an unknown
>> host.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Reuti wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Andy,
>>>
>>> although I never used -ae, we are using -ah do add the hosts. I
>>> mean: I run one
>>> time the client script on one node, and then we replicate this image
>>> to all
>>> nodes. Having done this, -ah will add the clients as (trusted) admin
>>> hosts and
>>> creating any (cluster-)queue with an appropriate hostgroup set will
>>> add them as
>>> execution hosts in addition.
>>>
>>> Staring up the execd on the nodes will create the spool directories
>>> for each
>>> node on it's own. This I observed up to now.
>>>
>>> Cheers - Reuti

# Charu V. Chaubal				# Phone: (650) 786-7672 (x87672)
# Grid Computing Technologist	# Fax:   (650) 786-4591
# Sun Microsystems, Inc.			# Email: charu.chaubal at sun.com