[GE users] Adding exec hosts to SGE via qconf

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Tue May 17 21:15:08 BST 2005

Charu Chaubal wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> I would recommend looking at the inst_sge script to see exactly all the
> steps that are taken when installing an exec host.  Most of them are
> probably 'qconf' commands which can be issued from any admin host on
> the grid.  I don't think there's anything which needs to be run locally
> on the exec host other than the init script, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've read through those scripts in 5.3 and 6.0.  And since then I've
added over 100 compute nodes without using inst_sge.  All that is needed
is to add the exec host to SGE (I use qconf -ae, but I'm sure the other
methods mentioned will work), and make sure that host is assigned to a
queue/assigned to a hostgroup that's assigned to a queue.  The last part
isn't strictly necessary, but probably something you'll still want to do :)

After that, just make sure the binaries are on the compute host and
start up sge_execd.