[GE users] slot confusion?

Beth Meyer beth at wildbrain.com
Wed May 18 21:28:14 BST 2005

Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG - Software Engineer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you only care for using 7 slots at a given time out of 25, you can
> configure global slots and set it to 7, per default it is not set.
>
> you do a:
> qconf -me global
>
> complex_values slots=7
>
> Does it help?
>
> Stephan

Stephan,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I need for one queue to be able to use up to 25
slots at a time and for the other queue to use at most 7 slots. I'm happy enough with the
complex solution; or, at least, I would be if I could get it to work. =)

Since the only difference between the normal queue and the high queue were the number of
slots to use and priority, I switched back to one queue and use -p to distinguish priority
and a resource request for the limitation. I added a complex called high_priority, and
then added it to the global execution host. I must have done something wrong, however,
because all my hosts are reporting high_priority=0. I followed the floating license
example in the admin docs; but either I missed a step, or it did. Can someone clue me in?

Thanks,

Beth

Here is the output of qconf -sc

 > qconf -sc
#name                shortcut   type        relop requestable consumable default  urgency
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XSIStdRender         xsi        INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
arch                 a          RESTRING    ==    YES         NO         NONE     0
calendar             c          RESTRING    ==    YES         NO         NONE     0
cpu                  cpu        DOUBLE      >=    YES         NO         0        0
cpu_factor           cpuf       DOUBLE      ==    NO          NO         0        0
h_core               h_core     MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
h_cpu                h_cpu      TIME        <=    YES         NO         0:0:0    0
h_data               h_data     MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
h_fsize              h_fsize    MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
h_rss                h_rss      MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
h_rt                 h_rt       TIME        <=    YES         NO         0:0:0    0
h_stack              h_stack    MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
h_vmem               h_vmem     MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
high_priority        hi_q       INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
hostname             h          HOST        ==    YES         NO         NONE     0
idle_time            it         DOUBLE      <=    NO          NO         0        0
load_avg             la         DOUBLE      >=    NO          NO         0        0
load_long            ll         DOUBLE      >=    NO          NO         0        0
load_medium          lm         DOUBLE      >=    NO          NO         0        0
load_short           ls         DOUBLE      >=    NO          NO         0        0
mayaclothsimf        cloth      INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
mayafluidsimf        fluid      INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
mayamrfmf            mrfm       INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
mayarenderf          maya       INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
mayaunltdf           unltd      INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
mem_free             mf         MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
mem_total            mt         MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
mem_used             mu         MEMORY      >=    YES         NO         0        0
mental_ray_sta       mray       INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
min_cpu_interval     mci        TIME        <=    NO          NO         0:0:0    0
ncpuf                ncpu       DOUBLE      ==    NO          NO         0        0
np_load_avg          nla        DOUBLE      >=    NO          NO         0        0
np_load_long         nll        DOUBLE      >=    NO          NO         0        0
np_load_medium       nlm        DOUBLE      >=    NO          NO         0        0
np_load_short        nls        DOUBLE      >=    NO          NO         0        0
num_proc             p          INT         ==    YES         NO         0        0
qname                q          RESTRING    ==    YES         NO         NONE     0
rerun                re         BOOL        ==    NO          NO         0        0
s_core               s_core     MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
s_cpu                s_cpu      TIME        <=    YES         NO         0:0:0    0
s_data               s_data     MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
s_fsize              s_fsize    MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
s_rss                s_rss      MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
s_rt                 s_rt       TIME        <=    YES         NO         0:0:0    0
s_stack              s_stack    MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
s_vmem               s_vmem     MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
seq_no               seq        INT         ==    NO          NO         0        0
shaker               shake      INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
slots                s          INT         <=    YES         YES        1        1000
swap_free            sf         MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
swap_rate            sr         MEMORY      >=    YES         NO         0        0
swap_rsvd            srsv       MEMORY      >=    YES         NO         0        0
swap_total           st         MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
swap_used            su         MEMORY      >=    YES         NO         0        0
tmp_free             tf         INT         >=    YES         NO         0        0
tmpdir               tmp        RESTRING    ==    YES         NO         NONE     0
ultra_hi_priority    ultra_q    INT         <=    YES         YES        0        0
virtual_free         vf         MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
virtual_total        vt         MEMORY      <=    YES         NO         0        0
virtual_used         vu         MEMORY      >=    YES         NO         0        0
xidle                xit        DOUBLE      <=    NO          NO         0        0
# >#< starts a comment but comments are not saved across edits --------

and here is the output from qconf -se global

 > qconf -se global
hostname              global
load_scaling          NONE
complex_values        high_priority=17,ultra_hi_priority=3,mayamrfmf=18, \
                       mayarenderf=289971,shaker=10,mayaunltdf=18, \
                       mayafluidsimf=18,mayaclothsimf=18,XSIStdRender=24, \
                       mental_ray_sta=50
load_values           NONE
processors            0
user_lists            NONE
xuser_lists           NONE
projects              NONE
xprojects             NONE
usage_scaling         NONE
report_variables      idle_time,xidle

yet qhost -F high_priority and qstat -F high_priority both show

gc:high_priority=0

for every host and/or queue