[GE users] in what case(s) is SGE host_aliases consulted?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu May 19 22:54:59 BST 2005

I have an interesting case with a group owning a cluster where the
SGE qmaster node public hostname actually resolves back to an IP
address that belongs to a firewall appliance. The firewall then does
it's rule based thing and forwards packets on to the qmaster which
actually has a private unroutable 192.168.1/24 DMZ-zone IP address.

Setting aside the obvious issue of having a host with a FDQN that
does not resolve back to any actual active network interface (!) this
got me thinking a bit about the host_aliases file in SGE ...

I know I can use host_aliases file to point client systems at the
"real" DMZ IP address. During startup sge_execd will read and honor
the alias listing. I use this feature quite often.

What I am curious about is if the SGE 6 "install_execd" script will
also honor the host_aliases file when it does its "Checking Hostname
Resolving" work.   Does anyone know off hand if it does or does not?
My goal is to keep even the install-time SGE related traffic from
having to traverse the firewall.

Regards,
Chris