[GE users] Shutting down SGE 5.3

Matthias Mann Matthias.Mann at chemie.tu-dresden.de
Fri May 20 13:46:17 BST 2005

Hi William,

in such a case I disable all queues immediately and before shutdown
the nodes I do an forced rescheduling of all remaining (running) jobs and
set this jobs to user hold.
After restart of the nodes the users can deside to release or delete and
resubmit their jobs.

Matthias

On Friday 20 May 2005 14:11, you wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> as you will lose all of your computing time anyway this way, you can
> just issue a:
>
> qdel -uall
>
> and then shutdown all the machines. This way all created $TMPDIR dirs on
> the nodes will be safely removed. IMO it's mostly not possible to qalter
> the jobs to get them rerun after the shutdown, as input/output files
> maybe in an inconsistent state (at least for our jobs). Hence the (our)
> users have to look at the files and resubmit the jobs in such a case.
>
> Cheers - Reuti
>
> William Hay wrote:
> > We may have a planned power outage to our SGE cluster next week.
> > We probably wont have enough time to drain the cluster before we shut it
> > down.
> >
> > What is the recommended method for shutting down SGE 5.3 in this sort of
> > circumstance (ie with running non-checkpointable jobs)?
> >
> > William Hay

Dr. Matthias Mann
DV-Koordinator Fachrichtung Chemie und Lebensmittelchemie
TU Dresden, D-01062 Dresden, Tel./Fax: +49 (351) 463-34286
Email: Matthias.Mann at chemie.tu-dresden.de