[GE users] soft requests on load values

Fred L Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Fri May 20 16:20:24 BST 2005

Olle,

Sorry, as I was writing my reply the phone rang and I ended up hitting
send unintentionally :-(

Olle Liljenzin wrote:
> I have seen the man page, but it doesn't explain the behaviour.
> "nice-tohave, but not essential" is not really a definition, is it?
>
> If I get it right, a soft requirement should be considered if the job
> could be scheduled immidiately with no other resource conflicts.
> Otherwise I can't see what sense it would make.

GE will treat the soft requests with lower precedence than the other
requests, hence your job with -soft requests may go to a less loaded
node which does not satisfy the soft request.

All depends on how you have set up your cluster.

Cheers
f.