[GE users] Env var corruption with -v under 6.0p3

Pacey, Mike m.pacey at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon May 23 17:06:12 BST 2005

> There was already the discussion, what to include at all in the possible
> content:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=6718
>
> And as part of the file "#$ -v ...=...", there would be the need for an
> enhanced parser to behave like the shell parser.

Thanks for the reference - I couldn't find anything relevant with my own keyword searches.

In this instance, I'd wanted the quote marks stripped out as a command line shell would. I worked around the problem by simply removing the quotes, though as you pointed out in that thread, there are repercussions for more advanced variables.

For the record, this cropped up while I was playing with the London eScience / AIST-enhanced globus jobmanager-sge script. The default script constructs a (rather long) comma separated "#$ -v" line, and wraps all variables in double quotes, so I was surprised while debugging to find this method doesn't actually work!

Regards,
Mike.