[GE users] Share Tree Policy setup

Mikael Johansson mpjohans at pcu.helsinki.fi
Tue May 24 00:35:23 BST 2005

Hello All!

I'm migrating a cluster at our university from SGE 5.3 to 6.0u3. I thought
of setting up a Share Tree Policy resembling the user_share of SGE 5.3
(non-EE), i.e., jobs pending for user A with fewer running jobs than user
B will pass pending jobs of user B.

For now, all users should be considered equal. I came as far as figuring
out that I need the "default user" for the projects, and that I should
set the 'halftime' parameter very low (~zero).

The cluster contains two cluster queues in addition to all.q; chem.q and
phys.q. Either has to be defined in the job script.

What would be the easiest way to set up this simple policy?
I guess it is best to make separate projects for both chemists running on
the chem.q-part of the cluster and for physicists running on the
phys.q-part. Otherwise I could imagine some logical problems arising from,
e.g., there not being free chem-nodes for a chem-user that according to
the policy should be allowed to start before, say, a phys-user with
available free nodes.

And finally, the reason why this turned out to be more difficult than
necessary: How do I set up all this using the command line? The
documentation for this is very sparse (basically: Use qmon, it's much
easier :-) But qmon segfaults immediately when I press the "Share Tree
Policy" button (as well as many others), and for various reasons updating
software on the cluster is quite cumbersome...

Help will naturally be highly appreciated!

Have a nice day,
     Mikael J.
     http://www.helsinki.fi/~mpjohans/