[GE users] Share Tree Policy setup

Charu Chaubal Charu.Chaubal at Sun.COM
Tue May 24 00:57:30 BST 2005

Hello,

On May 23, 2005, at 4:35 PM, Mikael Johansson wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I'm migrating a cluster at our university from SGE 5.3 to 6.0u3. I
> thought of setting up a Share Tree Policy resembling the user_share of
> SGE 5.3 (non-EE), i.e., jobs pending for user A with fewer running
> jobs than user B will pass pending jobs of user B.
>
> For now, all users should be considered equal. I came as far as
> figuring out that I need the "default user" for the projects, and that
> I should set the 'halftime' parameter very low (~zero).
>
> The cluster contains two cluster queues in addition to all.q; chem.q
> and phys.q. Either has to be defined in the job script.

One question is: why do you have these two queues defined in the first
place?  What purpose do they serve that a single 'all.q' would not?

> What would be the easiest way to set up this simple policy? I guess it
> is best to make separate projects for both chemists running on the
> chem.q-part of the cluster and for physicists running on the
> phys.q-part. Otherwise I could imagine some logical problems arising
> from, e.g., there not being free chem-nodes for a chem-user that
> according to the policy should be allowed to start before, say, a
> phys-user with available free nodes.

I guess it depends on the answer to the above question, but if you
simply had a single 'all.q' and then a simple share tree, that would
take care of it, right?

> And finally, the reason why this turned out to be more difficult than
> necessary: How do I set up all this using the command line? The
> documentation for this is very sparse (basically: Use qmon, it's much
> easier :-) But qmon segfaults immediately when I press the "Share Tree
> Policy" button (as well as many others), and for various reasons
> updating software on the cluster is quite cumbersome...

'qconf -help' will show all command lines options for setting
everything by CLI.  You can look at this HOWTO for more info and some
examples (note that it was written for 5.3, but mostly everything
should still apply to 6).

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/scripting.html

Regards,
	Charu

> Help will naturally be highly appreciated!
>
> Have a nice day,
>     Mikael J.
>     http://www.helsinki.fi/~mpjohans/

# Charu V. Chaubal				# Phone: (650) 786-7672 (x87672)
# Grid Computing Technologist	# Fax:   (650) 786-4591
# Sun Microsystems, Inc.			# Email: charu.chaubal at sun.com