[GE users] Consumable Resources / Load Values help

Alan Rogers alan.rogers at rsp.com.au
Tue May 24 06:11:13 BST 2005

Hello all,

I am trying to implement floating software license management under Grid
Engine 6u3.

I have read all of the HOWTOs and FAQs on the subject, and have been
able to successfully set up software license management in the way
described in most of these documents.

However, the software licenses we need to be able to manage, are a
combination of floating licenses and node-locked licenses.

This means that some machines in our Grid will use a global consumable
resource when they run a job, and other machines (which have node-locked
licenses) will not consume any units of this resource when they are
running similar jobs.

My attempt at a solution was to use a load sensor that would provide a
global load which would indicate the number of available software
licenses.  And I would then set a load threshold on the machines that do
not have a node-locked licenses.  This threshold would indicate the
total number of available floating licenses.

This idea works for the most part.  However, when the load is near the
threshold (ie lics=11, thres=12), jobs are still submitted to all
available hosts.  Causing the jobs to be requeued on all but one of
those hosts.

I have attempted to solve this using load adjustments, however these
adjustments only seem to be applied on a per host basis (ie. the global
load value is not updated!?)

does anyone know of a way to either force the load sensor to run before
jobs are scheduled, or to modify load paramaters from the command line?

if anyone can think of another way to achieve this that would also be
appreciated!

thanks,
alan

--
alan rogers
software developer / system administrator - alan.rogers at rsp.com.au
rising sun pictures - www.rsp.com.au
redefining visual effects delivery
direct line +61 2 9338 6486
mobile ph +61 408 846 098
our adelaide phone number & address has
changed, please update your records..........
adl ph +61 8 8400 6400 - fx +61 8 8400 6401
level 1, 133 gouger street, adelaide, 5000
syd ph +61 2 9338 6400 - fx +61 2 9338 6401
15/16 charles street, redfern, sydney, 2016
rising sun research - http://research.rsp.com.au