[GE users] SGE 6.0u4 on lx24-x86 - lots of sge_qmaster entries in proc table

Rayson Ho raysonho at eseenet.com
Wed May 25 21:58:34 BST 2005

The implementation of threads is different with NPTL.

If you create a thread with pthread_create(3), and call getpid(2) in the
threads, you will see that with LinuxThreads, each thread gets a unique
pid. With NPTL, from the user side, there is 1 PID. From the kernel side,
each kernel thread still has its PID, I believe there isn't a seperate
thread ID table so they put TID in the PID table. The funny thing is that
you can even pass the TID to kill.

So yes, each thread has its PID. But it is visible from user programs as it
was with LinuxThreads.

Anyway, many Linux features are still a hack :)

Rayson