[GE users] Penalise disproportion of requests und actual usage

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Fri May 27 12:33:04 BST 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Andreas Haupt wrote:

> On Fri, 27 May 2005, Andreas Haas wrote:
>
> > Please have a look at execd_params settings
> >
> >   ACCT_RESERVED_USAGE
> >   SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE
> >
> > in sge_conf(5). The first one ensures integral memory usage (mem) is
> > accounted based on h_vmem job requirement and cpu time is accounted
> > based on jobs slot amount. The SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE does the same
> > for cpu/mem resource utilization debited into the share-tree in case
> > you've set-up one.
>
> Thanks. I'll setup share-tree. One thing I did not find in the
> administration guide is this: How do functional shares and the share-tree
> influence each other? We have already setup a functional share policy for
> the different projects. The share-tree will now be setup more or less
> equally. Do I still need functional shares if a have a share-tree?

If you use functional and share-tree policy concurrently the effect of
both are combined with the relation

   weight_tickets_functional : weight_tickets_share

as configured in sched_conf(5). E.g. if you've configured a 2:1 relation
and use similar share distribution with your functional and share-tree
set-up your users/projects would be slightly penalized. If it is 1:2
users/projects would be stronger penalized.

Note however that share-tree policy itself provides own means to
align the degree of penalization (compensation_factor).

Regards,
Andreas