[GE users] exclusive queues - mutually subordinating

James Coomer jamesc at streamline-computing.com
Thu Nov 3 15:57:37 GMT 2005

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-15" character set. ]

I'm using SGE6u3 on SuSe9.0 cluster

We are using queues in a slightly unusual way, where we have a parallel.q
and serial.q spanning all queues. Each queue has the other in the
subordinate_list so that parallel and serial jobs don't mix on a host.

I can't ( I dont think) force the exclusivity by using a per-host slot
consumable because (for good reasons) we have 1 slot per host for the
parallel queues and 2 for the serial queues (they are 2cpu machines)

My problem is that under certain circumstances both serial and parallel
jobs can get scheduled in the same scheduling cycle and occupy both queues
simultaneously, and suspend eachother.

I've found similar queries in the archives, but nothing quite the same.
Any ideas?

Many Thanks,
James