[GE users] exclusive queues - mutually subordinating

Shannon V. Davidson svdavidson at charter.net
Thu Nov 3 17:01:51 GMT 2005

James,

How are you using the parallel queues as part of a Grid Engine parallel
environment (PE)?  Or are you just running jobs which need 2 cpus in the
parallel queues?

Shannon

James Coomer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using SGE6u3 on SuSe9.0 cluster
>
>We are using queues in a slightly unusual way, where we have a parallel.q
>and serial.q spanning all queues. Each queue has the other in the
>subordinate_list so that parallel and serial jobs don't mix on a host.
>
>I can't ( I dont think) force the exclusivity by using a per-host slot
>consumable because (for good reasons) we have 1 slot per host for the
>parallel queues and 2 for the serial queues (they are 2cpu machines)
>
>My problem is that under certain circumstances both serial and parallel
>jobs can get scheduled in the same scheduling cycle and occupy both queues
>simultaneously, and suspend eachother.
>
>I've found similar queries in the archives, but nothing quite the same.
>Any ideas?
>
>Many Thanks,
>James

Shannon V. Davidson <svdavidson at charter.net>
Senior Software Engineer            Raytheon
636-479-7465 office         443-383-0331 fax