[GE users] exclusive queues - mutually subordinating

James Coomer jamesc at streamline-computing.com
Thu Nov 3 17:42:34 GMT 2005

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-15" character set. ]

Thanks for the quick response.

The urgency values are set so that slots gets 1000 default. I have
increased the weight_urgency to be far greater than the weight_ticket,
weight_priority to see if this makes a difference. But the jobs still jump
on to all the queues simultaneously as before.

Might I be missing something ?

James

> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, James Coomer wrote:
>
>> My problem is that under certain circumstances both serial and parallel
>> jobs can get scheduled in the same scheduling cycle and occupy both
>> queues
>> simultaneously, and suspend eachother.
>
> It might be possible to resolve this by biasing job dispatch priorities
> through the urgency policy. That way you can for example ensure that
> (within one scheduling interval) parallel jobs are always dispatched
> before sequential ones. E.g. based on the 'slots' request that is implict
> with any job you can ensure that a sequential job has only 1/4 of the
> urgency compared to a 4-times parallel job
>
>    1000      = 1000 * 1 * 1   (-l slot=1)
>    4000      = 1000 * 4 * 1   (-l slot=4)
>
> due to the formula
>
>    hrr       = rurg * assumed_slot_allocation * request
>
> explained in sge_priorities(5).
>
> Please find urgency policy examples in the admin guide manual.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Dr James Coomer
HPC and Grid Solutions