[GE users] exclusive queues - mutually subordinating

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 3 18:21:32 GMT 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, James Coomer wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> The urgency values are set so that slots gets 1000 default. I have
> increased the weight_urgency to be far greater than the weight_ticket,
> weight_priority to see if this makes a difference.

Actually this adresses only the problem of dispatching a sequential
jobs before a parallel job within the same scheduling cycle. But it
must make a difference on the job dispatch priority. Just should use
qstat -pri to see whether the difference is large enough to overrule
your ticket policy with the concrete case. Btw. how can you say it
occurs within the same cycle? Are you using

 # qconf -ssconf | grep "^params"
 params                            monitor=1

and tail -f $SGE_ROOT/default/common/schedule?

> But the jobs still jump
> on to all the queues simultaneously as before.

Hm ... to be honest I can't explain it right now. Actually
subordination occurs immediately even within a single scheduling
cycle so your double subordination should work.

Are these parallel jobs distribted over multiple hosts?

Regards,
Andreas