[GE users] qrsh/qlogin accounting issue

Roland Dittel Roland.Dittel at Sun.COM
Fri Nov 4 15:20:18 GMT 2005

Ron Chen wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> You are right that qrsh without any command would launch
> telnetd, and you can refer to Joachim's message:
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=4524
>

> To get accounting working, you can use SSH with qrsh:
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/qrsh_qlogin_ssh.html
>
> And then use my tight SGE-SSH integration:
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/BrowseList?list=dev&by=thread&from=4889
>
> Note that without my tight SGE-SSH integration, you will get the
> 3 disadvantages mentioned in the qrsh_qlogin_ssh HOWTO. However,
>  the code for my tight SGE-SSH integration is not in cvs yet,
> but it should be easy to patch it yourself.

By the way, when do you plan to check the ssh integration into the cvs?
:) If you trust my changes and you are too busy I can do it for you.

Regards
Roland

>  -Ron
>

> --- Joe Fu <Joe.Fu at synopsys.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Reuti/Rayson
>>

>>I understand exactly what's the problem. qrsh without command
>>or qlogin
>>are finally taken over by OS in.rlogind or in.telnetd. they
>>will destroy
>>all GE environmental variables including the additional group
>>id. The
>>result is GE doesn't know how to track those processes any
>>more because
>>those processes don't have the same group id.
>>
>>qrsh with a command works fine because
>>SGE_ROOT/utilbin/ARCH/rshd takes
>>over and  controls all accounting information.
>>
>>I am just trying to see if anybody has any workaround so far.
>>
>>Thx
>>-Joe

Roland Dittel               Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-275 (x60275)
Software Engineering        Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:roland.dittel at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware