[GE users] GE with application where fork and parent exits

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Nov 4 21:42:06 GMT 2005

Jonathan T Zink wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an application which does a fork call.  The parent
> then exits normally (via _exit()) and the child process
> continues work.
>
> Gridengine seems to be exiting normally after the parent
> exits (and killing all the child processes) thus interrupting
> processing.
>
> How do I prevent GridEngine from doing this i.e. is there
> a way to force it to check the all forked child processes?
> I have been looking at the PE options but this isn't really
> a parallel environment task (as the parent is done not
> long after the child has been forked).  Help?

When the submit script exits, sge_shephard exits which tells sge_execd
that the job is over.  I noticed you aren't using a submit script, but
perhaps the answer to your problem is to provide a submit script (or
some kind of wrapper program) that does wait until all the forked
processes have finished.