[GE users] web interface to "qstat -xml" -- any java folk able to lend a hand? (need a cocoon generator for qstat)

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Nov 11 00:30:06 GMT 2005

I've junked most of the perl CGIs and scripts responsible for
collecting and transforming SGE XML and have started re-developing
the little "xml-qstat" interface under the Apache Cocoon XML
publishing framework.

A work in progress demo is here:

http://dcore-amd.sonsorol.net:8888/xmlqstat/qstat.html

The output format above is biased towards the "show me everything"
side which works for small clusters. XML is dynamically collected
from SGE at periodic intervals via an external caching daemon.

For very large and active clusters where the "show me everything"
model breaks down ( or breaks browsers! ) I've started work on some
"terse" XSL stylesheets. The effect of the "terse" stylesheet as
applied to canned XML taken from a largish cluster can be seen here:

http://dcore-amd.sonsorol.net:8888/xmlqstat/demo/qstat-terse.html

The reason for this email is that I need to start work on the more
dynamic stuff -- for instance the ability to click on a SGE JobID and
have rendered output from a dynamic "qstat -j <jobID>" call appear
within a DHTML DIV element.

The "proper" way to do this within Apache Cocoon would be to write a
java "Cocoon Generator" capable of calling out to  "qstat -xml" and
bringing the resulting XML directly into a Cocoon XML object for
transformation and XHTML serialization.

But ...

I'm a perl geek, not a java software engineer. I have absolutely no
idea how to go about writing a qstat XML generator for Apache Cocoon.
I'm pretty sure its not all that hard to do but I'm just not capable
of getting my head around the problem.

If I can't figure out the pure-java-Cocoon methods I'm just going to
write some tiny perl CGI's and have Cocoon fetch the dynamic XML via
http operations which is not as efficient (or elegant!) The perl
stuff I can spin out easily but I'd rather this be a 100% Cocoon
package if I can manage it.

Anyone willing to help me out with this? The xml-qstat stuff is open
source under a creative commons license. The Cocoon Generator
approach will make the resulting package far easier to setup and
distribute since external CGIs for XML data fetching won't be needed.

-Chris