[GE users] web interface to "qstat -xml" -- any java folk able to lend a hand? (need a cocoon generator for qstat)

Fri Nov 11 00:49:47 GMT 2005

Chris,

On my to-do list is something that might help you.  Using the JAXB
package, one can generate a parser from an XML schema.  Sometime in the
next couple of weeks I plan to write a howto for how one does it.  To
use the generated parser, you just pass in the output from qstat -xml.
What you get back is an object tree containing the data from the XML
document.  You can then walk that tree and dig out whatever data you
need.  I also plan to include a tarball of a sample parser.
As soon as I'm not busy trying to get u7 ready to ship, it's at the top
of my "things to document" list.

Daniel

Chris Dagdigian wrote On 11/11/05 01:30,:

>I've junked most of the perl CGIs and scripts responsible for
>collecting and transforming SGE XML and have started re-developing
>the little "xml-qstat" interface under the Apache Cocoon XML
>publishing framework.
>
>A work in progress demo is here:
>
>http://dcore-amd.sonsorol.net:8888/xmlqstat/qstat.html
>
>The output format above is biased towards the "show me everything"
>side which works for small clusters. XML is dynamically collected
>from SGE at periodic intervals via an external caching daemon.
>
>For very large and active clusters where the "show me everything"
>model breaks down ( or breaks browsers! ) I've started work on some
>"terse" XSL stylesheets. The effect of the "terse" stylesheet as
>applied to canned XML taken from a largish cluster can be seen here:
>
>http://dcore-amd.sonsorol.net:8888/xmlqstat/demo/qstat-terse.html
>
>The reason for this email is that I need to start work on the more
>dynamic stuff -- for instance the ability to click on a SGE JobID and
>have rendered output from a dynamic "qstat -j <jobID>" call appear
>within a DHTML DIV element.
>
>The "proper" way to do this within Apache Cocoon would be to write a
>java "Cocoon Generator" capable of calling out to  "qstat -xml" and
>bringing the resulting XML directly into a Cocoon XML object for
>transformation and XHTML serialization.
>
>But ...
>
>I'm a perl geek, not a java software engineer. I have absolutely no
>idea how to go about writing a qstat XML generator for Apache Cocoon.
>I'm pretty sure its not all that hard to do but I'm just not capable
>of getting my head around the problem.
>
>If I can't figure out the pure-java-Cocoon methods I'm just going to
>write some tiny perl CGI's and have Cocoon fetch the dynamic XML via
>http operations which is not as efficient (or elegant!) The perl
>stuff I can spin out easily but I'd rather this be a 100% Cocoon
>package if I can manage it.
>
>Anyone willing to help me out with this? The xml-qstat stuff is open
>source under a creative commons license. The Cocoon Generator
>approach will make the resulting package far easier to setup and
>distribute since external CGIs for XML data fetching won't be needed.
>

>-Chris

*        Daniel Templeton   ERGB01 x60220         *
*       Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine        *
* "So let the sunshine in.  Face it with a grin.  *
*  Smilers never lose, and frowners never win."   *
*      -Let the Sunshine In, Pebbles Flintstone   *